What can be a simple concept to some, is also a complex one to others. So what actually is a hashtag? A hashtag is essentially a type of metadata tag used on social networks, allowing users to easily find messages with a specific theme or content.
Although it can be simple to implement, there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes to ensure you are getting the most out of your hashtag. Here are some basic, yet effective hashtag hacks:
1. Hashtags are only totally necessary relevant on Instagram and Twitter, if you are going to hashtag on other platforms see below for optimal number of hashtags per platform.
2. If you are going to hashtag, make sure they are relevant to the post or to your business.
3. A good way to come up with hashtags is to see what your industry leaders are using.
4. Don’t clutter your content, use hashtags in the comments or at the bottom of your caption.
5. Try creating a hashtag for your brand to encourage brand involvement e.g. #sodadigitalnz
Optimal number of hashtags per platform.
Insta: 9-15 | Facebook: 1-2 | Twitter: 1-4 | LinkedIn: 1-2
So on that note, happy hash tagging Soda fam! If you would like some more in depth insights into hash tagging, get in touch.